1. Warming up: Reading an article about a racist bully in the 7th grade
- What causes her to be a racist and a bully?
- What are the effects of her racism and bullying?
2. Acting out Chapter 4 together with a staging focus on power, weakness, and bullying
- Which characters start the scene powerless? What do they have in common? How can we stage them to symbolize power and weakness?
- Which characters gain power as the scene goes on? How can we stage this?
- Which characters lose power as the scene ends? How can we stage this?
- What do Curley and Curley's wife, our two big bullies, have in common?
- Try out the cyclical structure chart.
- What does the structure of this scene suggest about the power and weakness of the dream?
Thesis of the day: In Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck uses ________________ (bully's name) to illustrate how bullies want ___________________ but end up ________________________.
Extra challenge: In Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck uses the cyclical structure of Chapter 4 to illustrate _______________________________.
Extra extra challenge: In Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck uses ___________________ (pick one of the character's defects, like Candy's hands, or Crooks' back, or Lennie's mental disability) to symbolize ___________________________.
1. Please complete your reading journal or five annotations for Chapter 4 if you did not finish in class.
2. MEET IN THE FORUM TOMORROW.
2. Remember that next Friday, September 26, is the end of 6 weeks; if you have any make up work or revised assignments that you'd like to get credit on, you must submit it by 11:00 am on that Friday at the latest.