Focus: What background knowledge helps us understand the Chapter 1 of Of Mice and Men?
1. Warming up: Sharing my 9-11 story with you
2. Troubleshooting your apostrophe issues
Teach your partner the difference between the following pairs...
Elsa and Ana's parents
Elsa's and Ana's parents
The student's shoes
The students' shoes
Why do I need an apostrophe when I write '70s, but I don't need one when I write 1970s?
3. Synthesizing your inferences, questions, and research about the Great Depression
Social/Public Life vs. Family/Private Life
4. Entering Steinbeck's world: Reading Chapter 1 together with background information, questions, and inferences about possible symbols
1. Please finish reading Chapter 1 in Of Mice and Men; complete either a full page in your reading journal or complete five annotations if you're not using the reading journal.
2. Study for tomorrow's quiz on apostrophes.
3. Bring your independent reading book to class tomorrow.