Focus: Who has power on the ranch, and who doesn't? What determines power?
1. Warming up: Trying out an AHS power hierarchy
2. Developing a ranch hierarchy: Which characters seem to have the most power, and which ones have the least? What determines power on the ranch?
George, Lennie, the boss, Candy (the old swamper), Carlson, Slim, Curley (the boss's son), Curely's wife, the stable buck
Trying out today's thesis statement on the blog:
On the ranch in Of Mice and Men, characters demonstrate/achieve power by _________________________, but they demonstrate/reveal weakness by ___________________.
3. Staging and acting out the big fight scene in Chapter 3 with a focus on power and weakness
4. Finishing your journal entry/annotations for the second half of Chapter 3
1. Please finish reading Chapter 3 (if we did not finish in class) and complete your journal entry or annotations; remember that you need a complete page or five annotations for the second half of Chapter 3.
2. Use www.noredink.com to complete the assignment, "Subject-Verb Agreement, Part 1" before class tomorrow. Come prepared with questions about anything that's confusing you.
3. Independent reading.