Focus: How can student-led discussion lead us to a better understanding of The Kite Runner, Chapters 11 and 12?
1. Warm-up: Building up your background knowledge to better understand The Kite Runner
a. As a class, brainstorm which words, people, historical events, terms, etc. have come in The Kite Runner that you don't quite understand.
b. With your grid groups, select the two or three topics that you'd most like to know about, and take a little time to research them. Discuss how the research helps you understand what's happening in The Kite Runner (be sure to write down research and responses in your grids).
2. Participating in Fishbowl #2: Chapters 11 and 12
3. Wrapping up a discussion with a whip-around: What are your take-aways and questions?
1. Study for tomorrow's vocabulary quiz over Kite Runner words in Chapters 7-10.
2. Bring your independent reading book or The Kite Runner to class tomorrow; also bring your sticky notes or blue journals.
3. Start reading and annotating Chapter 13 for Monday.